Wednesday 18 June 2014

Twin Mani with Colors Frenzy - Rainbow Nails

Hey guys!  Today's post is a special one for me.  Novi over at Colors Frenzy is someone I consider one of my best friends.  She's great to talk to whether it's about polish or if I have to vent or I need some advice.  She's been a great influence on me as a blogger and a great help as I find my own way in the blogging world.  We decided to do a "Twin Mani" post and the theme is Rainbow Nails using our Nail Vinyls so make sure you head over there to check out her design as well!

When it comes up to nail art, Novi is definitely an inspiration.  She does these amazingly creative manis and makes them look so easy.  When it comes to nail art, I struggle a lot.  I admire Novi and all of the other artists out there that come up with these amazing ideas and then skillfully create them on a nail.  I mean, I can barely draw a straight line or a proper circle on a plain piece of paper, never mind actually creating a piece of artwork on a tiny canvas literally the size of a fingernail.  Anyway, on to my nail art!

Twin Mani Rainbow Nails Nail Vinyls Colors Frenzy Skinny Chevron FingerPaints Black Expressionism The Mighty Red Baron Woodstock Good Fortune and True Colors HK Girl Duri Rejuvacote
 Rainbow Nails with Nail Vinyls


My first thought of rainbows was definitely a gradient.  I have done them before and I love how they look and once you get the hang of them they're pretty easy.  For the actual designs, I didn't plan it out ahead of time, I just got my base ready and put on the nail vinyls and sponged over them.  While the rainbow was still wet I peeled off the vinyl so the black base would peek through.

Twin Mani Rainbow Nails Nail Vinyls Colors Frenzy Skinny Chevron FingerPaints Black Expressionism The Mighty Red Baron Woodstock Good Fortune and True Colors HK Girl Duri Rejuvacote
 Rainbow Nails with Nail Vinyls

I love how it turned out and I was able to get a pretty decent rainbow going.  If I did it again, I would try to space it out a bit better with not so much purple at the ends and try to get more of the blend of colours in.  I'm also happy with how the designs turned out.  I think the black zigzags looks like a fun contrast to the rainbow, especially the diamondish design.  I can definitely see myself doing these again with some different designs.

There are tons of gradient tutorials out there, both on blogs and on Youtube. But I can list my steps for you here below.  If you already know how to do one, skip down towards the end for the polishes I used.

1) Apply Basecoat
2) Apply base colour (I used black to show through the rainbow for contract and to make my rainbow stand out)
3) Apply a quick dry topcoat and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes
4) Soak a makeup sponge completely with water and wring it out.
5) Open and line up your colours in the order you want to apply them to the sponge
6) Apply Nail Vinyls, tape or striping tape for your design to all nails
7) Optional by preference use glue or tape around your cuticles to make clean up easier.  If it's glue, make sure it's completely dry.
8) Apply each colour to the sponge in a line at least wide enough for your nails, layering each colour slightly on top of each other so that they mix on the sponge.
9) One nail at a time dab the sponge across the whole nail and slightly move it up and down to blend the colours further.  If you need more colour, apply more polish to the sponge and continue building it up.
10) Remove the Nail Vinyls or striping tape and let dry for a few minutes.
11) Repeat steps 8 - 10 for the rest of the nails.
12) Quick dry topcoat again and let dry completely.

Twin Mani Rainbow Nails Nail Vinyls Colors Frenzy Skinny Chevron FingerPaints Black Expressionism The Mighty Red Baron Woodstock Good Fortune and True Colors HK Girl Duri Rejuvacote
 Rainbow Nails with Nail Vinyls
Polishes used:

Basecoat: Duri Rejuvacote
Base colour: FingerPaints Black Expressionism:
Rainbow: Colors by Llarowe (CbL) The Mighty Red Baron, Woodstock, Good Fortune and True Colors
Nail Vinyl: Skinny Chevron
Top coat: HK Girl

So this was somewhat lengthy post!  I hope you enjoyed reading and that you check out the mani from Colors Frenzy!

FingerPaints polishes are sold at Sally Beauty supply stores and Colors by Llarowe (CbL) polishes are from Llarowe or Harlow and Co.  Keep an eye out on Llarowe's Facebook page and Harlow & Co's Facebook Page for restock information or subscribe to their newsletters.  Llarowe usually restock every 4 - 6 weeks.